Saturday, November 20, 2010

Shortbread Cookies- So many versions, so little time!

A Friend asked recently for a Shortbread recipe, so I am re-posting my favorite one!!

Here is one of my favorite shortbread recipes from Ina Garten. She is my cooking idol. 
This recipe is so versatile. See some ideas after the original recipe!


This is what you need to get started:

Ingredients:
3 sticks unsalted butter at room temp
1 cup white sugar- I use splenda but both work!
1 tsp good Vanilla extract- I usually use Madagascar but am currently out
3.5 cups all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt

Tools:
Measuring Spoons 
Measuring Cups
Sifter
Mixer- I love my kitchen aid
Saran Wrap
Baking Sheet

Now the fun stuff:
Heat oven to 350f. 

Cream the butter and sugar. Add Vanilla

Sift the dry ingredients together..and yes it does make a difference. 
Add the dry to the wet in batches. Dough will be loose. 
Dump out onto floured surface and you can either roll into a log (for slice and bake) or shape into a disk for cutout cookies. 
I did mine in a roll for this batch. Roll up and cover tightly with saran warp and chill for 30 min. 
After chilling the dough, remove from plastic warp and slice into 1/4 slices. 
For this batch I rolled the edges in multi colored sanding sugar to add a little color. Place on a baking sheet and cook until edges are just slightly golden brown. In my oven about 15-18 min. 

One your cookies are cold to the touch, you can do one of two things...pack them up or dip them in melted chocolate! 

This batch I decided to dip half. Make sure if you do dip yours, you don't do one side. Once the chocolate hardens if you have dipped both sides, you may break them when lifting them off your sheet once the chocolate has set. Also if you are going to dip, use good quality chocolate. 

Now they are packed up and ready to be dropped off at my parents and Viv's mums!


You can also play with variations on this recipe. For Example:
Try different flavoring extracts
Add in dried fruit or chocolate chips. 
Remove 1/2 cup of white flour and sub for cocoa powder

When doing cutout cookies, cut shapes and chill for 10 min to keep edges crisp while baking. 
You can also make this dough 1 month ahead and slice and bake when you need them. 
You can also pre cut shapes for cutouts and freeze for a month and bake the day you need them. 

Let me know if you try this one out!
Happy Baking! 

Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment