Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Pies.....Recipes but no pics yet!

So today I will make my Thanksgiving Pies. Because it will be tomorrow or Friday before pics are up and that is too late for you to make your pies, I thought I would share my recipes just in case you are in need! I tend to make these same pies or variations of these at Christmas. I am also going to try a chocolate gingerbread bar from my girl Martha Stewart but I will blog about that after turkey day.

Today after work I will be making: Apple Pie with English Custard, and Apple Cozy, and a Pumpkin Pie.

For the pie crust I make it from scratch. It is so so easy and will taste better than any store bought pie crust. I am also of the firm belief that they actually cook better as well. I have tried these both ways and I love my homemade crust.

Pate Brisee:
For 2 single layer or 1 double crust pie (8-10")

2-1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
1tsp Salt
1tsp Sugar or Splenda
2 sticks Unsalted butter cut up into small chunks
1/4 cup of Ice Water. The ice is important so add it.

Sift dry ingredients into your mixer or food processor. I use my mixer because I can't live without it.
Begin to add butter until it is in small chunks like peas.
Start to add your water about 1tablespoon at a time until the dough starts to come together. You may not use the whole 1/4 cup, you may use more. It all depends.

Turn out your dough and knead a few times. Split it into 2 and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 1 hour before using.


Deep Dish Apple Pie:
3 lbs apples. I like a combo of Cortland, Gala, and Granny Smith
3TBS Four
2TB Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup Sugar or Splenda
1tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/8 salt
1TBS Butter
Sanding Sugar
1 Egg for eggwash

Core and Peel Apples and slice however you like them.
Mix ingredients (except for sanding sugar, butter, and egg) in large bowl until all apples are nicely coated.
I tend to make my mix and add apples last.

Dump apple mixture into above pie shell recipe. Dab top with butter. Cover with second crust and brush with eggwash. Sprinkle with sanding sugar. Sometimes I go at the top crust with festive cookies cutters as well. If you don't want to do that, make sure to put two small slits in the top for steam to escape.

Bake at 350 until crust is done and apples inside are bubbly.

Apple Cozy:
Same recipe as above but,
I roll out the dough onto a piece of wax paper into a 14-16" circle. I put all of my apple mixture in the middle and dab with butter. Then fold up the dough around the apples. Don't worry about covering the whole thing. You should have exposed apples. Brush with eggwash and sprinkle with sugar.
Put wax paper on a cookie sheet and bake until done at 350.

Pumpkin Pie:
I always do the recipe on the can of Libbys' Canned Pumpkin.
It's super simple and is always a hit.

I like to top my apple pie with English custard. All you need is some English Birds Custard powder, sugar and milk. You can find the powder in the international foods section of your grocery store. It is a yellow and blue can. If they have it pre-made, don't do it. It's not as tasty and it is so easy to make. Just follow the directions on the can.

You can also make homemade whip cream if that is more your speed.
All you need is Heavy Whipping cream and a few tablespoons of powdered sugar. Start the whipping cream on high in your mixer and mix still very soft peaks. Add in sugar and whip a few more times.  Just don't go too far or you will end up with butter!

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving. Pictures of my pies to follow after the holiday!

Happy Baking!!

Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment