Monday, September 26, 2011

(Virtually) Sugar Free Apple Crisp

This is one of my favorite times of the year. Crisp fall weather here in NH and there is no better activity in the fall than apple picking!  Now, it's not quite cool enough for me to pick yet (maybe next week since it's 80 today) but I did pick up some local apples the other day. Looking at the bag of them and wishing I could make my favorite apple crisp recipe, but knowing if I took 2 bites the sugar would kill me. With some creative thinking and armed with a pantry full of goodies, I went to work on my sugar free yet SUPER tasty apple crisp.

Here is what you will need:

For the Apple Mix:
3 Baking Apples- I used Galas this time around
1 squeeze lemon juice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp apple pie spice
1/4 cup Sugar Free Torani Syrup- I used Caramel but you can also use Vanilla or Salted Caramel

For the topping:
4TB Oats
2 pumps Torani Sugar Free Caramel
1TB butter (I use Earth Balance Soy Spread)
1/4 tsp Apple Pie Spice
1 TB Spenda

Chunk up apples and mix with spices and lemon juice. In a saucepan combine butter, caramel syrup, and apple mix. Cook about 5-6 minutes.

In a microwavable bowl combine topping ingredients. I nuked mine for about 1 min. Mix it up into a crumbly mix.

Divide apple mix into (4) 4oz ramekins



Top the apples with the crumble mix. Bake in oven for about 10 min at 350 degrees.
When cool, cover with plastic wrap and keep in fridge.

When I want to eat one, I remove the plastic, nuke for 30 seconds and top with Sugar Free topping.
and then I add some Sugar Free Caramel topping
SO DELICIOUS!!

If you wanted, you could make this in a large batch (scaling up the ingredients to a 13x9 pan) and bring to a fall cookout or as a yummy Thanksgiving dessert.

I loved this apple "crisp". If you try it out let me know what you think!! Just because I love my recipes does not mean everyone else will too!

I am also looking for new ideas for recipes. If there is something you would like to try, let me know and I will try and alter for the WLS lifestyle and see what I can come up with! I like to put on my mad scientist sometimes for a challenge!

Next up is Apple Cake (non wls for now) and I am also working on some WLS Coffee Cake muffins (not perfected yet!)

Happy eating!!
Jenn

2 comments:

  1. This looks like an awesomeee recipe. I'm 2 weeks post op, so I'll have to wait a little while to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete